Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Stage 16 Overview, Picks and Comment

If I get up in time, I'm going to dash into SOmerville, MA to join the regional Mountain Biking group (NEMBA) to watch Stage 16 at a barbecue restaurant (Redbones) with other cycling fanatics.

The gathering begins at 9AM and you get a full breakfast while watching the first of a bunch of Alps' stages.

So, before I put out the trash and hop on the scooter, here is what I think will take place today in the Tour.

The riders leave Italy and tackle two Hors Category climbs. The mountain in France features the highest mountain pass in all of that country - a staggering 2802 meters!

The stage goes from Cuneo Italy to Jausiers France...a distance of 157KM.

There are no more rest days, and today WILL solidify either Cadel Evans' fall from grace or the dominance and eventual win of Christian Vandevelde.

Today's winner will be a climber, but it might also feature a jump by Kim Kirchen and you KNOW I'm always hoping that George Hincapie will slam the peloton with a massive effort and get himself close to the podium.

I'll do a post-race bunch of entries after lunch today.

No comments: